Menu

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Europe

The European continent was named after beautiful Phoenician woman called Europa.

Europe

When Zeus have seen Agenor's daughter Europa gathering flowers he immediately fell in love with her.

The Places in Paris I like to visit

With about 42 million tourists annually in the city and its suburbs, Paris is the most visited city in the world. The city and its region contain 3,800 historical monuments and four UNESCO World Heritage Sites. It is of not surprise that I also like to visit Paris and each time I am there I can find new places that I have no seen yet and that I find attractive. Let show me a few of them.

The trip with Bateau Mouche along the Seine in Paris

In fact, the term Bateau Mouche is a registered trademark of the Company named Compagnie des Bateaux Mouches, the most widely known operator of the boats in Paris, founded by Jean Bruel (1917-2003).  However, the phrase, because of the success of the company, is colloquially wrongly used to refer to all tourist boats operating on the river within the city of Paris. Bateaux Mouches translates literally as "fly boats". Although the Mouche means in French an insect called “fly” in English the name comes from the fact that these boats were originally manufactured in boatyards situated in the Mouche area of Lyon.

Vedetta de Paris Eiffel Tower
View on Seine to the south Vedette de Paris ponton

Today there are plenty of companies operating boats on the Seine and we, by pure coincidence, choose the one called Bateaux Vedettes de Paris, probably because we were going from Montmartre to the Seine and taking direction Tour Eiffel. Vedettes de Paris is one of the two companies located near the famous Eiffel Tower and offered at this moment the most rapid offer to get on the boat.

Brugen 1 Brugen 2
Brugen 3 Brugen 4

Paris has today 37 bridges across the Seine, three of which are pedestrian only and two are the rail bridges. Out of Three are linking Île Saint-Louis to the rest of Paris, 8 do the same for Île de la Cité and one links the two islands to each other.

When we boarded at the Eiffel Tower we started our trip direction Notre Dame. We past in total the following 23 bridges;

Pont d'Iena
Pont d'Iena 2 Pont d'Iena 3

1 - Pont d'Iéna built in 1814 by Napoleon Bonaparte and connecting to the Eiffel Tower.

Passerele Debilly
Passerele Debilly 2 Passerele Debilly 3

2 - Passerelle Debilly which is one of the three pedestrian bridges, it was opened in 1900 and is connecting to the pontoon of Compagnie des Bateaux Mouches located on the opposite side of Seine than the Eiffel Tower. 

Pont d'Alma
Pont d'Alma 2 Pont d'Alma 3

3 - Pont de l'Alma, constructed by Napoleon III in 1856 but reconstructed completely in 1970. Only the statue of a Zouave soldier is original and is used to measure the level of the river. The warning level is when the water gets to the feet of Zouave. During the great flood of the Seine in 1910, the level reached to the shoulders of the Zouave.

Pont de Invalides
Pont de Invalides 2 Pont de Invalides 3

4 - Pont des Invalides which is the lowest bridge traversing the Seine in Paris. It was twice rebuilt, with the current structure from 1855.

Pont Alexandre III -1 Pont Alexandre III 2
Pont Alexandre III 3 Pont Alexandre III 4

5 - Pont Alexandre III, an arch bridge connecting the Champs-Élysées quarter and the Invalides and Eiffel Tower quarters, widely regarded as the most ornate, extravagant bridge in Paris. It is classified today as a historical monument. The bridge was built between 1896 and 1900. It is named after Tsar Alexander III, who had concluded the Franco-Russian Alliance in 1892. His son Nicholas II laid the foundation stone in October 1896. The style of the bridge reflects that of the Grand Palais, to which it leads on the right bank.

Pont de la Concorde
Pont de la Concorde 2 Pont de la Concorde 3

6 - Pont de la Concorde, built in 1829 and then widened on both sides between 1930 and 1932, doubling the width of the original bridge. Today, this bridge bears the brunt of Paris's road traffic.

Passerelle Léopold-Sédar-Senghor

7 - Passerelle Léopold-Sédar-Senghor built in 1999, pedestrian, formerly the Passerelle de Solférino but renamed in 2006.

Pont Royal
Pont Royal 2 Pont Royal 3

8 - Pont Royal, is the third oldest bridge in Paris, after the Pont Neuf and the Pont Marie. After few predesesors it was finally reconstructed between 1685 and 1689, this time with stone, receiving complete financing from the king Louis XIV. The bridge underwent a last reconstruction in 1850. In 1939, it was classified as a historical monument under the same bill as the Pont Neuf and the Pont Marie.

Pont du Carroussel
Pont du Carroussel 2 Pont du Carroussel 3

9 - Pont du Carrousel spans the River Seine between the Quai des Tuileries and the Quai Voltaire. Inaugurated in 1834, when king Louis-Philippe named it Pont du Carrousel, because it opened on the Right Bank river frontage of the Palais du Louvre near the Arc de Triomphe du Carrousel in front of the Tuileries.

Passerele des Arts
Passerele des Arts 2 Passerele des Arts 3

10 - Passerelle des Arts constructed between 1802 and 1804, as nine-arch metallic bridge, the first metal bridge in Paris. The present bridge was built between 1981 and 1984 "identically" according to the plans of Louis Arretche, but with reduced number of arches from nine to seven.

Pont Neuf plan
Pont Neuf
Pont Neuf 2 Pont Neuf 3

11 - Pont Neuf. As early as 1550, Henry II was asked to build a bridge here because the existing Pont Notre-Dame was overloaded. In 1577 the decision to build the bridge was made by King Henry III who laid its first stone in 1578. The bridge was completed under the reign of Henry IV, who inaugurated it in 1607. It was the first stone bridge in Paris not to support houses in addition to its fare. All through the 18th century, the Pont Neuf was the center of Paris, lively with both crime and commerce.

Pont Saint Michel
Pont Saint Michel 2 Pont Saint Michel - view

12 - Pont Saint-Michel, its construction as a stone bridge was decided upon in 1378 by the Parlement de Paris after an accord with the chapter of the cathedral of Notre-Dame de Paris, the provost of Paris, and the city's merchants. A location was chosen on the line of Rue Saint-Denis, from the Grand-Pont on the right bank and of Rue de la Harpe on the left bank. This allowed for a direct route across Île de la Cité. The bridge was destroyed by ice in 1408 and the replacement bridge was built at the same time as the Pont Marie was under construction. The work started in 1617 and was completed in 1623. The present 62-metre-long bridge dates to 1857, requiring only seven months for construction.

Petit Pont
Petit Pont 2 Petit Pont view de Notre Dame

13 - The Petit Pont was built in 1853, although a structure has crossed the river at this point since antiquity. The present bridge is a single stone arch linking the IVe arrondissement and the Île de la Cité, with the 5th arrondissement, between quai de Montebello and quai Saint-Michel. The Petit Pont is notable for having been destroyed, at least thirteen times since its original inception during Gallo-Roman times to the mid-19th century.

Pont au Double
Pont au Double 2 Pont au Double 3

14 - Pont au Double. In 1515, Francis I was asked to build a bridge over the small branch of the Seine in order to carry patients to the Hôtel-Dieu hospital on the Île de la Cité. Construction began in 1626 and in 1634 the two sides were connected. The Pont au Double derives its name from the toll amount which was charged, a "double" denier, money used to pay for the construction of the bridge. In 1709, the bridge collapsed. It was rebuilt and remained in place until 1847. In 1883, the Pont au Double was replaced by a one arch cast-iron bridge.

Pont de l'Archevêché
Pont de l'Archevêché  lovers Pont de l'Archevêché  our trip

15 - Pont de l'Archevêché This bridge links the 4th Arrondissement, at the Île de la Cité, to the 5th Arrondissement, between the quai de Montebello and the quai de la Tournelle. It is the narrowest road bridge in Paris. It was built in 1828, by the engineer Plouard, for the society Pont des Invalides after the demolition of the suspension bridge at Les Invalides. Since 2010 it is used by those who fell in love.

Pont de la Toournelle
Pont de la Toournelle 2 Pont de la Toournelle 3

16 - Pont de la Tournelle is located between the Rive Gauche and the Île Saint-Louis. The first, a wooden bridge, was built during the Middle Ages. This bridge connected the Eastern bank of the Seine to l'île Saint-Louis. It was subsequently washed away by a flood on 21 January 1651. A stone bridge was erected in its place in 1658. It was demolished in 1918 and replaced by the current bridge in 1928, after it suffered several natural disasters, especially the flood of 1910.

Pont de Sully Passerelle de Constantine
Pont de Sully Passerelle de Constantine 2 Pont de Sully Passerelle de Constantine 3

17 - Pont de Sully goes crosses the eastern corner of Île Saint-Louis. The two parts of the bridge are known as the Passerelle Damiette connecting the island with the right bank and the Passerelle de Constantine connecting the island with the left bank. The Passerelle de Constantine was built between 1636 and 1638. Both parts as one bridge were authorized by an act of 18 June 1836, in favor of M. de Beaumont, the projector, who would recoup his expenses by collecting tolls. The bridges opened to traffic January 1838 and were a pair of pedestrian suspension bridges. The Passerelle Damiette was destroyed in the 1848 Revolution, while the Passerelle de Constantine, built between 1636 and 1638, collapsed in 1872 owing to corrosion in its cables. The current bridge was constructed in 1876, as part of Haussmann's renovation of Paris, and opened on 25 August 1877.

Pont de Sully Passerelle Damiette
Pont de Sully Passerelle Damiette 3 Pont de Sully Passerelle Damiette 2

Because our boat sailed close to the left bank of the river we passed first the Passerelle de Constantine of Pont de Sully. At this point of the trip our bout made a 180° turn and start the return trip but on the other side of the Île Saint-Louis. In this way we could see the bridges connecting the islands Île Saint-Louis and Île de la Cité with right bank of the Seine. The first bridge passed was again Pont de Sully but this time it was the Passerelle Damiette. From now on we have sailed along the right bank of the river Seine.

Pont Marie
Pont Marie 2 Pont Marie 3

18 - Pont Marie derives its name from the engineer Christophe Marie, who proposed its construction beginning in 1605. However the bridge was not actually approved for building by the king until 1614, at which point Louis XIII laid the first stone as part of a formal bridge building ceremony. Following approval, the Pont Marie's construction was spread out over 20 years, from 1614 to 1635. Thus, the bridge is one of the oldest bridges in Paris.

On March 1, 1658 a flood occurred, which caused the destruction of twenty houses that were built atop the structure and the deaths of about sixty people. In 1660 a wooden bridge was rebuilt on the same spot, this time with a toll-booth which was designed to raise funds for the complete, stone renovation of the structure. This reconstruction was completed in 1670. In 1740, the remainder of the buildings atop the Pont Marie was removed and in 1769 all building atop the bridge was forbidden. In 1788, houses were barred from construction atop bridges throughout the city. Since the 18th century, the structure has seen little change.

Pont Louis-Philippe
Pont Louis-Philippe 2 Pont Louis-Philippe 3

19 - Pont Louis-Philippe. On 29 July 1833, to celebrate his accession to the throne following the three glorious days of the July Revolution, Louis-Philippe laid the first stone for a previously-nameless suspension bridge, located on the extension of the Rue du Pont Louis Philippe. After the French Revolution of 1848 the bridge and its tollhouses were burnt down. The Pont Louis-Philippe was rebuilt and once again inaugurated in April 1862.

Pont Saint-Louis
Pont Saint-Louis 2 Pont Saint-Louis  3

20 - Pont Saint-Louis is the seventh bridge at this location to link the two islands since 1630. The Pont Saint-Landry (1630–1634) was the first of these. In 1717 a wooden bridge was rebuilt, with seven arches, and named the "Pont Rouge", due to its color. It was destroyed in 1795 and in 1804, under the direction of the engineer Dumoustier, a new two-arch bridge was built, 70 m long and 10 m wide, and mainly in oak. It was demolished in 1811, and a suspension bridge replaced it in 1842.  Twenty years later, this was replaced by a metallic bridge, with a single arch with a 64m opening. In 1939, this one was demolished. In 1941, it was replaced by a "passerelle" resembling an iron cage. In 1968, construction of the present bridge was begun, and inaugurated in 1970. The bridge is in pedestrian zone and connects Île de la Cité and the Île Saint-Louis. May be it is not the most beautiful bridge in Paris but very useful for the tourists.

Pont d'Arcole
Pont d'Arcole 2 Pont d'Arcole 3

21 - Pont d'Arcole between Île de la Cité and the right bank was in 1828 just a suspension bridge for pedestrians with two 6m-wide carriageways, supported from a central pier in midstream, built by Marc Seguin. In 1854, with increased traffic due to the prolongation of the rue de Rivoli, it was replaced by a more substantial metal structure that could also be used by vehicular traffic. The pont d'Arcole was built to the plans of Alphonse Oudry and his partner Nicolas Cadiat. The structure was innovative in that it was the first unsupported bridge across the Seine to be made entirely in wrought iron rather than cast iron.

Pont Notre-Dame
Pont Notre-Dame 2 Pont Notre-Dame 3

22 - Pont Notre-Dame is situated between the Île de la Cité and the right bank of the river. It was on this spot that the first bridge of Paris, called the Grand-Pont, crossed the Seine from antiquity. In 886, during the siege of Paris and the Norman attacks, this structure was destroyed and replaced by a plank bridge, named the Pont des Planches de Milbray. This bridge was destroyed by the floods of 1406. On May 31, 1412, Charles VI of France ordered the construction of the first version of the bridge to be named "Notre-Dame". The bridge took seven years to build and had sixty houses atop it, thirty on each side. King Charles' wooden bridge collapsed on October 25, 1499. Stone foundations were laid for a new bridge that same year. This time, the bridge was built with stone, as an arch bridge under the direction of Italian architect, scholar and Franciscan Friar, Fra Giovanni Giocondo, who had also overseen the building of the Petit Pont. Between 1746 and 1788 the houses along the bridge were demolished for sanitary purposes and because of the danger the structures caused to the bridge's stability. In 1853, a new stone structure was completed atop the existing stone foundation, although this reincarnation was only composed of five arches.

This new bridge was subsequently the cause of not less than thirty-five water traffic accidents between 1891 and 1910 and was given the unofficial name of the Pont du Diable. Thus, in order to facilitate the passage of boats and the flow of the Seine, a decision was made to rebuild the bridge, this time in metal. The new work was directed by Jean Résal, who had also worked on the Pont Mirabeau and Pont Alexandre III; it was inaugurated in 1919 by Raymond Poincaré, President of the French Republic. The structure has remained the same since.

Pont au Change
Pont au Change 2 Pont au Change 3

23 - Pont au Change located between the Île de la Cité and the Rive Droite. Several bridges bearing the name Pont au Change has stood on this site. It owes its name to the goldsmiths and money changers who had installed their shops on an earlier version of the bridge in the 12th century. The current bridge was constructed from 1858 to 1860, during the reign of Napoleon III, and bears his imperial insignia. The Pont au Change is featured in the novel Les Miserables by Victor Hugo.

Returning to Eiffel Tower Returning to Eiffel Tower 2
Returning to Eiffel Tower 3 Returning to Eiffel Tower 4
Returning to Eiffel Tower 5 Returning to Eiffel Tower 6

Once again the boat has sailed under the Pont Neuf but this time from the side of the right bank of the river and the trip continued back to Eiffel Tower. We passed once again at bridge numbered by us as 10 - Passerelle des Arts and we ended at bridge number 1 - Pont d'Iéna. All that time we could see the beautiful evening in Paris along the Seine.